Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Favorites


"Welcome to Fantasmic! Tonight our friend & host Mickey Mouse uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination, for in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy or an exciting adventure. But beware: nothing is more powerful than the imagination for it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. Are the powers of Mickey's imagination strong enough and bright enough to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey's dreams? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join Mickey, and experience Fantasmic... a journey beyond your wildest imagination."

What can I say about Fantasmic? It's pretty much the greatest show Disney has created in life. I say this because I haven't seen World of Color in person, so I can't honestly compare them to each other, but compared to all the fireworks, parades, stages shows, etc. Fantasmic! is the one that I continuously go back to see--- 37 times during my program to be exact. There are many differences between Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Fantasmic! at Disneyland, which ultimately leads me to favor Disney's Hollywood Studios version over it's west coast version.


Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios vs. Fantasmic! at Disneyland

DISNEY’S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

DISNEYLAND

  • Performed in Hollywood Hills Amphitheater built for the show specifically
  • 27 minutes long
  • Tribute to The Lion King with Rafiki and other animals
  • Pocahontas re-enactment scene
  • Montage of many clips from Disney features inside bubbles
  • Introduces other Disney villains. More villains are featured
  • Smaller boat based on the steamboat from Steamboat Willie
  • Jafar scene
  • Maleficent dragon poorly executed
  • Music is better
  • Performed on Rivers of America where there is hardly any seating at all
  • 22 minutes long
  • The jungle scene with Kaa, King Louie, etc. from The Jungle Book
  • Peter Pan re-enactment scene
  • “Pink Elephants on Parade” clips and Pinocchio puppets
  • Ursula’s reprisal of “Poor Unfortunate Souls” makes for less villains in show
  • Uses Mark Twain riverboat for characters to dance on for a grander finally scene
  • No Jafar scene
  • Maleficent dragon is animatronic
  • Music not as good


What exactly do I love about Fantasmic? The music. The villains. The choreography. But most importantly, the ending. I've cried at the ending of all 37 showings of Fantasmic! at DHS that I have attended. Something about the power that Sorcerer Mickey displays on top of that mountain peak just really gets to me. Also seeing all of those characters out on the boat that I never get to see: John Smith, Meg from Hercules, the seven dwarfs. It's just so overwhelming and I love it. The main reasons why I love DHS's version of Fantasmic! is because it pays tribute to The Lion King and Pocahontas, and most importantly it introduces more villains such as a favorite of mine, Scar, and also gives Jafar, who is my absolute favorite, the chance to shine with his own scene.

Fantasmic! is probably the number one thing I miss about my program. I miss being able to just hop in my car and drive over to DHS at 7:00pm to see the 8:00pm showing. I guess Disneyland's version is just going to have to do for now!

Some imagination, huh?

Photo credit to Disney Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exercise your freedom of speech.